The Dreaded A1C


Hello friends! This week's post is about A1C's, why some diabetics fear them so much, and dealing with your emotions after you get the results.

First things first, lets make sure that we know what an A1C is.

A1C stands for glycated hemoglobin. The A1C percentage measures how much sugar is attached to the blood's hemoglobin protein. 

Every three months, you go for a visit at the hospital with your endocrinologist to get an A1C test done. An A1C is done by taking a drop of blood out of your finger with a finger prick. 

The drop of blood goes into a machine. The machine estimates an average of what your blood glucose numbers have been for the past three months.

Based on what I understand, any A1C result around 7 mmol/L is considered good. 

Your endocrinologist (a.k.a. endo) can look at your A1C result, and judge you and your diabetes management based off of the number.

 Without even looking at any of the numbers that are in your logbook, or the perfectly reasonable excuses for the numbers recorded (e.g. sickness, pizza, failed pump site, etc...), your endo can stay your best friend or become your worst nightmare.

I love my endo and my whole diabetes team, and they've never judged me for a high A1C. They're pretty great! However, I know that some diabetics aren't so lucky.

Maybe some are, but most endos are not living with the same disease that we are. 

They don't understand that sometimes, no matter how many corrections you give, high blood sugars just don't like to come down.

Did you know that emotions, sickness, stress, temperature, and hormones can raise your blood glucose numbers? Did you also know that you can't necessarily control any of those things? 

Yes, I know that endocrinologists are very educated on Type 1 and they only want what's best for their patients, but who are they to judge us for something that we have such difficulty controlling?

My point is that you should NOT feel guilty about your A1C results, no matter how high or low.

You can do everything right, and your BG numbers can still be little devils.You are trying your best. Just try not to feel responsible for it.

 Let's get two things straight. Number 1, it's your pancreas that bailed, not you.

Number 2, it's not like you wanted wacky sugars. You didn't purposely NOT take insulin to make your sugars rise! They did it all on their own. 

I know that its hard not to feel terrible after you get a high BG reading, whether it be an A1C or a regular blood glucose test. And you are completely entitled to whatever emotions that you have. 

But when diabetes has you feeling low, pun intended, try to remember that not many people can have a social life, be active in the community, work a job, get through school, and be a perfect 24/7 pancreas all at once. 

You are doing your best, and that's all that matters! 

The next time you find that you're blaming yourself for a high BG test, tell yourself these three things:

1. This is not my fault.

2. I'm doing my best.

3. Tomorrow is a new day



Take me as an example. I've been sick for the past couple of days, and as demonstrated in the picture, my BG numbers haven't been the best. 

At first I was a little frustrated with myself, but then I took a deep breath, and realized that my life's purpose is not to have perfect BG numbers! (It would be nice, but it's not my goal in life)

I know how to deal with highs and lows, so I am fully prepared for whatever diabetes throws at me. 

And tomorrow is a blank slate with endless possibilities. Who knows? Maybe tomorrow is when we'll get a call from the hospital, telling us the great news that they found a cure. Boy, would that ever be wonderful?

I know that probably won't happen, but a girl can dream, right? Anyways, don't be too hard on yourself. You are doing the best you can.

Till next week, Diabetes Warriors!


Thanks for reading this week's post of That Stupid Pancreas!


If you have any questions/comments/concerns please don't hesitate to email me about it here


Don't forget to check us out on Instagram by clicking here

Or check us out on Google+ by clicking here

Or check us out on Facebook by clicking here


Do you want to get email notifications every time I post something new? Then become part of the family by clicking the subscribe button at the top of the page.

Today's question of the day is...


What is the highest that your BG number have ever been? Mine was 36.4 mmol/L, that was at diagnosis.

Comment your answer down below!!!





Comments

  1. The news would spread around the world like food coloring spreading through water. "We found it! We found it! Those nightmares of uncertainty... they're gone!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interrelationships

Insulin Pump Infusion Sites!

Faces of Type 1