Deciphering Diabetes Slang


I was at my friend's house yesterday, and I was wearing this shirt:



My friend's older sister (who didn't know that I have Type 1) read my shirt and was really confused. This made me realize that a lot of the things some of my diabetic friends and myself say about our supplies and condition is probably confusing to people who don't know that we have Type 1. So, to help the general public understand what we are talking about, this week's post is a key to help decipher our diabetes slang.

1. D-bag = diabetes bag

When I say diabetes bag, I'm referring to the bag I take everywhere with me that carries all of my diabetes supplies like my sugar tablets and insulin and test strips and stuff.



2.  Diaversary = diabetes anniversary

Your diaversary is the anniversary of the day you were diagnosed with Type 1.



3. Diabesties = diabetic friends

Friends you make who have Type 1 as well as you!



4. Poker = not a card game

When a T1Diabetic refers to their 'poker', they are talking about the lancet needle that they use to prick their finger to test their blood sugar.



5. I'm low! = my blood sugar is low

When we say that we're low, we don't mean that we're sad or feeling down, but that our blood sugar number is below 4 mmol/L.



6. Pod = not a pod of dolphins

A pod is the name for the Omnipod insulin pump sensors, not a group of dolphins.



7. Shots = needles

When T1Diabetics talk about taking shots, they don't mean the kind that leave you feeling fuzzy and unable to drive. We are referring to NEEDLES! The kind that give us the insulin we need to survive.



8. Meter = not metric metres

Not a metric metre, but our BG meters! The ones that test our blood sugar numbers!



9. Gusher = not a candy

In Diabetes Land, gushers are not sweet chewy candies but old infusion sites that bleed slightly uncontrollably.



Thanks for reading this post of That Stupid Pancreas!


If there are any questions/comments/concerns please don't hesitate to email about them here


Don't forget to check us out on Instagram here!

Or on Google+ here!


Do you want to get email notifications each time I post something new? Then become part of the family by clicking the subscribe button at the top of the page.


Till next time, Type 1 Warriors!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interrelationships

Insulin Pump Infusion Sites!

Faces of Type 1