Insulin Pump Infusion Sites... Part 2!

Yesterday, I accomplished an impossible feat. I conquered the unconquerable; I earned a spot in the history books next to J.K. Rowling and Charles Darwin; I have completed a task so difficult, I believe it to have upstaged Brexit. What is this daunting and horrific task?

Sir Francis Bacon (which I think is a glorious name) formalized the scientific method and Sir Isaac Newton figured out that gravity is the force that draws objects together, and I have found something bigger than the discovery of America.

I have discovered a new insulin pump infusion site!

Okay, maybe that whole introduction was a bit over the top, seeing as I didn't actually discover the infusion site, I just used it for the first time yesterday... but it matters not! This is still a time for celebration!


To start off, I understand that my beautiful anchor drawing is upside-down. That's because it was right-side-up for me while drawing it. I challenge you to draw that upside-down on your leg.

Also, if you don't know what an insulin pump is, or an insulin pump infusion site for that matter, click here to read my post that explains about the pumps, and here to read my post that explains about infusion sites. 

MOVING ON! I've always known that I could put my pump on my leg. I've touched on the fact that you can put sensors on your legs before, but I didn't go into detail because I didn't have experience with that infusion site yet. But, as of roughly fourteen hours ago, I do!

The whole reason I decided to go out on a limb (sorry, bad pun!) and just try putting my sensor on my upper thigh was because I didn't want to develop lipos (lipohypertrophy, basically raised areas under the skin that are insulin-resistant) on my normal infusion sites by over-using them.

The reason I've never used my legs before is because I have never had a lot of body fat there, so I figured that the insertion of my sensor would sting. I still don't have a lot of body fat on my legs, but, yesterday, I threw caution to the wind and decided to try it anyways because I decided that developing lipos is ultimately worse than three seconds of stinging.

It turns out I was all paranoid for nothing, because I barely even felt the needle go in. It stung for a few minutes after the initial insertion when I moved my leg excessively, but went away soon after. I don't even feel it anymore. Hold on, let me test it--I'll just do a few jumping jacks and kicks and whatnot--yup, I can't feel it anymore.

It's out of the way; it can't be seen by people who aren't specifically looking for it; however, I can still see it easily to check if it's doing its job.

This is definitely a great infusion site that I will be using again. Love, love, love it. I take back what I said before, this totally does upstage Brexit!


Thanks for reading this post of That Stupid Pancreas!



If you have any questions/comments/concerns, please don't hesitate to email me here



Don't forget to check us out on Instagram here!

Or on Facebook here!

And on Google+ here!



Do you want to receive email notifications each time I post something new? Then become part of the family by clicking the subscribe button at the top of the page.


Till next time, Type 1 Warriors!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interrelationships

Insulin Pump Infusion Sites!

Faces of Type 1