#DearType1

Dear Type 1,


First time that I heard your name
I didn’t understand
Everything you’d do to me
The needle in my hand

I braced myself and winced
As I jabbed it in my thigh
Hands and breaths were shaky
But still, I didn’t cry

A chorus of “I’m sorries”
Stuck to me like glue
Mourning all I’d lost that day
The life I thought I knew

First time I went low
I was playing with my friend
Sweaty, shaky, terrified
I thought it was the end

You’re evil, sick, horrible
Cruel in every way
Forcing kids to consider that
It might be their last day

I had a picture in my head
Of what my life would be
But the hell I’m living
Is nothing like my dream

Everything is different now
From how it was before
Didn’t ask for my permission
Before kicking down my door

You took so much, everything
But let me draw the line
You can’t have my love for life
That, at least, is mine


Sincerely,
Anne Pettigrew



Comments

  1. I have no words to describe how this impacted me. You are courage, personified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many people probably look at you and recognize neither what you've been through nor what they are taking for granted. Thanks for sharing, Anne!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interrelationships

Insulin Pump Infusion Sites!

Faces of Type 1