To a Newly-Diagnosed Type One...

Dear Newly-Diagnosed Type One...

  When I was diagnosed with type one diabetes, lots of crazy things were happening all at once. I was meeting lots of doctors, learning about lots of concepts and terms that I didn't understand, and everything felt like it was changing all at once. It was overwhelming, to say the least. But I've found out since that day that I'm quite resilient, and you probably are, too! I've had type one diabetes for four years now, and it's a part of my normal. I'm used to rocking cool devices with my outfits (I use a super helpful insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor to make my diabetes management easier!), I know all the lingo, and I've grown a lot. It seems like a lot right now, I know. And it is a lot. But with some time, you will get used to it, and it won't seem like such a huge scary thing anymore. Unpleasant at times perhaps, but totally something you can handle. And I still do all the things I used to do before I was diagnosed - Scouting, babysitting, softball, swimming, and volunteering with kids. You're not going to have to stop doing the things you love to do. And you WILL be able to have sugar, don't let anyone tell you that you can't! Diabetes can never stop you from being yourself.

(Me being myself, despite diabetes) (Myself = feminist) (✊)


  Type one isn't something that I would have asked for, but it's also brought some good into my life. Not the needles and carb counting parts, those can definitely by annoying, but other, bigger things. The type one diabetes community is really friendly and understanding, and I've met all sorts of people through type one that I probably never would have met otherwise. I got involved with JDRF a few years ago, and because of that, I've had many cool opportunities to meet government officials about type one, to do public speaking, and to advocate for things that I believe in. I never would've discovered the Public Speaker side of myself if I hadn't gotten involved with JDRF Canada, and that only happened because I have type one. I've also learned a lot about myself because of type one. I learned how strong I am, and that I can handle a lot of things I never would've thought I could. I wouldn't say exactly that I'm thankful for my disease, because it can be a drag sometimes, but I am thankful for a lot of the opportunities it's given me over the years. You'll see how it changes your life in different ways as you grow with it, but it doesn't have to be a completely negative thing.

(The Instagram page of one of the MPs I've met with about type one diabetes)


  There are a few key things to remember. You have to remember that you're only human. It can be easy to get caught up in trying to have the "perfect" blood glucose levels, but honestly, there IS no "perfect" BG level that you always have to be at. The perfect number is the one that is realistically achievable for you, with the resources that are at your disposal. Sometimes you might go a little higher than you would ideally like, but that's okay. You're only human. Everyone makes mistakes, and that's okay. It will be okay. Just keep your head up, and be kind to yourself.


(I like to draw, art is a nice way to de-stress when diabetes feels like a lot)

  Another thing to keep in mind is that while type one can be kind of isolating at times, you are never alone. There are people who are rooting for you, people who understand you, people who love you, and people who are there to help you when you need it. So never feel like you're alone, because there's always someone there for you, even if it doesn't seem like it all the time. Sometimes friends or family members who don't have type one personally won't understand exactly what it feels like to deal with this disease, and that can be frustrating. But there is a whole community of other people just like you - type one diabetics of all ages, who all get what it feels like. You're not alone. Reach out for help if you need it - from your diabetes team, from your family, from your friends, from JDRF. Someone will be there to carry you through the hard times.


(Family is awesome when you need support!) (And cats) (Cats are awesome)


  I know things are crazy right now, but they will get better, I promise. You can do it. If I can do it, you can. And I do do it. So you can too. I promise. Hang in there.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interrelationships

Insulin Pump Infusion Sites!

Faces of Type 1